A successful job search starts with a great resume.
Here are the basic components your resume should have.
- Header – Your header has your contact information. Name, address, phone, email. If you have a LinkedIn.com account you should add the URL for your LinkedIn profile.
- Professional Profile – Three or four sentences that briefly describe you as a candidate as it relates to the position you are applying for.
- Skills – This should include technical, software, or soft skills required for the position you are applying for.
- Experience – Enter information for the work you’ve done for the past 10 – 15 years. This should include your job title, company you worked for, city & state company was located, dates, and bullets of what you did while at that position. List your jobs from most recent to oldest.
- Education – List your education. If you have college degrees it is not necessary to add your high school diploma. You should list the degree, name of the school. Only add the date if you graduated within the last 4 or 5 years.
- Possible additional items – Special Certificates, Awards, Associations or Volunteer Work. Only add this info if it is relevant to the job you are applying for.
Chronological resume sample